Thursday, April 28, 2016

Well there you have it.  I ran across the area in the picture on the left.  That means I am a 2016 Boston Marathon FINISHER!  There were times I wondered if I would make it.  The following is my experience.

I had a pretty decent training period that saw weight training introduced for the first time.  I definitely felt strong leading up to race day. Then 6 days out I went on one last long run and something tightened up that did not feel right. After a visit to the doc, it was determined that it was most likely a micro tear in my calf.  A few extra days off allowed me to reach the starting line intact and as prepared as I could be...but we'll get to that.

I arrived in Boston late Thursday night.  My friends Brian and Meradee were hosting me at their place in Quincy.  That allowed me to work from their place on Friday as well.  They really took me in and made EVERYTHING so much easier.

Saturday was the day to go to the expo.  That was a pretty cool experience.  I had volunteered there two years prior when I was living in the Boston area.  This time definitely had a different feel though.  I bought my Boston jacket, some other clothing, and some other misc things.  I tried to just take in as much as I could.

Sunday was spent with friends and family, and that night saw my usual pasta and action movie tradition.  I was not expecting to get too much sleep that night, and boy was I right. Four hours later, my Boston experience was getting real.

The bus ride to the start takes a while, and you need to get there early.  I sat next to a guy from Michigan by the name of Dan.  He was in his 50's and also running his fifth marathon overall, but first Boston.  We chatted about the usual stuff...training, past running, etc.  He shared a story with me that proved to shape my race to come (more on that soon enough).

The time leading up to the start is a blur, but I do recall it being pretty crazy.  There are so many people, and that fan support is nothing short of amazing.  Even though I was in the first wave, once the gun fired it still took a couple of minutes for all of us to get moving. The first 4+ miles are mostly downhill, but you want to make sure you are not blowing out your legs/quads early on.  You need them when you hit the other versions of hills...the ones that go up!  I maintained a comfortable pace, but I could tell the heat was already going to be a factor.  The forecast was all over the place the days leading up, but it had trended to a high of 58 and cloudy the last time I checked.  I heard that it got to 75 on the course that day, and I do not recall a single cloud in the sky.  It was getting real hot, real fast.

Around mile 5 I started to get a headache, and I could tell it was related to the heat.  I was well hydrated like usual prior to the start, and was grabbing fluids each chance I could.  I knew I had to keep doing that as much as possible.  Concern started to set in a little bit, but I was running the Boston F'n Marathon.  Up to that point, I do not recall a single point where the fans were not at least a few people deep all over.  I pressed on as planned.

The miles leading up to the halfway point are mostly all a blur.  At mile 9, however I saw my buddy Brian right in front screaming and clapping.  I also heard another friend Kim from behind me screaming.  A look back, thumbs up, and on I pressed.  The only other things I remember are giving high fives to all the kids and people that were offering.  I cannot stress enough how amazing the crowd/fans are there.  A buddy that had ran Boston a couple times in the past told me to be prepared for the scream tunnel around mile 12. That is where the Wellesley College annual tradition takes place.  Students line the course for several blocks.  I am not kidding, it is lined with screaming college students that you can hear from about a mile away.  It is absolutely deafening.  They have some pretty funny signs, and others are urging runners to stop for kisses.  There were even two girls "wearing" a sign that said "the faster you run the lower the sign goes".  It is pretty entertaining.  I reserved myself to high fives along the several blocks.  Come one now, I'm running the Boston Marathon...I'm not slowing down for anybody!

I hit the halfway point and realized that I was behind pace.  I came in around 1:30, had a pretty bad headache, already sporting some good sunburn (I know, I know...sunscreen SUNSCREEN!), but I still was determined to hit my time goal.  The new plan was to drop the pace down a lot, and hit a few 6:20-6:30 miles.  The idea of not only running negative splits at Boston (second 13 miles faster than the first) but still hitting my goal time excited me. A couple of miles later I realized I was blazing through, but my headache was persistent, legs getting tired from the heat, and the realization that my time goal was out of reach began to set in.  I still had like 11 miles to go too!  That is when I remembered the story Dan from Michigan told me on the ride to the start.  During a long run for his training, he came across a woman wearing the iconic Boston jacket.  He found out she had ran Boston 10 times, and who knows how many other marathons.  He asked if she had any advice for a Boston rookie. She said that the best advice is to think of Boston as graduation.  You ran a marathon to qualify, and you have completed the training to actually run it too.  Your first Boston you come for your cap and gown (Boston jacket and finisher medal) and the experience that comes with it all.  That is what you should focus on, she told him.  My realization was taking another step.

I cannot recall ever running a race while not caring about my time.  It is always about pushing it as much as I can, and setting/resetting goals along the way if needed.  Boston was about to be different.  I knew I would not hit my goal time.  I knew I was getting into rough shape pretty quick.  I knew I had a mountain to climb in front of me that was not going anywhere.  I decided to dial back my pace, take in as much of the experience as I could, and try to get to that damn finish line in one piece.  The real battle was just beginning.

The miles between 15 and 20.5 were more of the same.  I was struggling more and more, but the crowd was just as intense as I could imagine possible.  I ran NYC in 2014 and thought the crowd was amazing there, because there are so many people.  The thing with Boston, like most things in NE, is that the people take so much pride in everything.  The marathon is no different.  In most of the world you refer to it as the Boston Marathon.  In Boston/NE it is just The Marathon.  Most races people are cheering, clapping, and urging you on.  At Boston they are like 5+ deep everywhere, but they are going CRAZY, absolutely CRAZY!  It is so intense.  It is like they are out there running with you, and are pushing you to keep going as much as they can.  I only wish they could have physically helped at mile 20.5.

Mile 20.5 is about where heartbreak hill starts.  Let me tell you, the name lives up to the hype.  I have ran many other hills that would be worse, but heartbreak is a hell of a hill at the point in a marathon where you are struggling so bad.  Couple that with the pounding of the previous downhills and random other hills, the heat, you name it.  It hurts!  My new goal was to make it to mile 24.  That is where I had a bunch of support waiting for me.  My buddy Jason and his wife flew out to cheer.  He rode his bike on a bunch of my long runs for support, and she joined for one as well.  They helped so much.  Two buddies from work actually took off to fly out and cheer me on.  I doubt Foday and Dan will ever know how much that meant to me.  Then there was my Mom, her BF, my step-sister, and her BF. Trying to reach them, I had to stop a bunch of times to ensure I was able to continue. Blisters, leg pain, and cramps can be a real bitch!

I finally hit mile 24ish and could barely hear anything.  As I jugged along, I heard this distinct screaming coming from behind me and to my right.  It was Foday, and he was going nuts!  Then I saw Dan too, and he was going nuts.  I immediately turned around to go high five them.  It was an awesome moment as they yelled at me to get out of there.  We laughed, and I was back on the course.  Next up I spotted my Mom and crew.  I hugged them all, but my Mom got two hugs.  I remember laughing as I said how much pain I was in. Had I not been dehydrated, I would have cried for sure.  I did not end of finding Jason and Nicole.  He told me later that they were screaming, but it was so loud where they were. He also said he could see it in my face that I was really struggling.  I knew they were there, and that matters so much to me.  Now I had what I needed to finish the last two miles of the Boston Marathon.

The days leading up to the race, I had seen a bunch of people posting pictures of the finish line.  I avoided it all together.  The first time I saw the finish line needed to be when I turned left on Boylston to actually go finish the marathon.  My moment was here, and I about lost it when I made that turn.  The crowd was going nuts, I could see the finish, and I knew I was almost done.  As I picked up the pace as much as I could, I started raising my arms to pump up the crowd.  Boy did they respond!  I crossed the finish line with both arms held high in the air.  I was now a Boston Marathon finisher!  I could not believe it...had it really happened?  Then I could barely walk.  Leg cramps suck, and so do headaches..and blisters, etc.  Now that I was done, all the pain was setting in.  Medical people are all over the place checking on everyone as they cross the finish.  I managed to slip through stating I was fine and got some fluids.  Once I sat down I started hoping someone would come ask how I was doing again.  When someone did, I swallowed my pride and admitted to cramping, bad headaches, etc.  She said I could get a free ride to the med tent...so a wheelchair ride to the med tent I went.  Maybe 20-30 minutes later, an IV, more fluids, and some warm hugs from a sweet older nurse is what I was given.  My headache was not as bad and I had friends/family to go meet.  I was done....and done!

Looking back the main things that stick out from the lead up to Boston, and running Boston, are so profound.  The support from so many people was so overwhelming, and still gets me choked up when I think about it.  Close friends, family, work friends, Facebook friends, and even strangers that found out I was doing it really impacted this experience for me.  I had some pretty awesome people help me during training as well.  I will forever be grateful to each and every one of them.  That is why their names were on the back of my shirt for all 26.2 miles of the Boston Marathon.

Now to enjoy marathon retirement...which is not running retirement...just marathon retirement.  See you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment